Join us as a HANNYS member!
Become a member of Hunger Action Network by clicking here and choosing your membership level.
Hunger Action Network of New York State (HANNYS) works to end hunger by addressing its root causes, including poverty. We bring together low-income individuals, communities of faith, food providers and community advocates to increase the amount of food provided to hungry New Yorkers, while building unified statewide advocacy for long-term solutions to hunger, and its root causes, including poverty.
Across the state, HANNYS’ non-partisan work includes: legislative advocacy on anti-hunger and economic justice issues; technical assistance for emergency food programs; promotion of community food programs such as Community Support Agriculture (CSA) and community gardens; monitoring the performance of local Departments of Social Services offices.
We are working to reduce hunger and poverty in our communities:
- Advocating for an increase in the minimum wage and public assistance benefit levels to lift families up and out of poverty;
- Expanding food security policies, gleaning, grow-an-extra-row, community gardening and community food buying clubs;
- Advancing a comprehensive Jobs Creation Program; and
- Promoting universal health care and universal quality child care.
Member Benefits Include:
Free quarterly newsletter: The Grassroots newsletter will be mailed to you throughout the year to keep you apprised of what’s going on throughout the state, as well as regional information and federal updates.
Email and fax policy alerts: You will receive the Hunger Alert emailed or faxed every month except for the months that the Grassroots newsletter is published. The alert will keep you abreast of the latest state policy debates impacting on food, education, welfare and other essential services.
Notification of and Reduced Admission to HANNYS Events: Members are informed about HANNYS events in their areas (such as Food Stamp workshops or budget forums) and receive discounts to HANNYS’ conferences and regional events.
Discounted HANNYS Publications: For HANNYS reports and publications.
Opportunities to Shape HANNYS’ Policy Agenda: HANNYS members meet annually to share with us their insights on current policy issues and problems they see in the community. This feedback helps shape our legislative agenda and priorities for the year. Members also have the opportunity to help share our 5-year Strategic Plan.
Assistance with Local Advocacy: HANNYS staff can provide advice and assistance to members who want help with:
- Local Press: media trainings or help with writing Letters to the Editor or organizing a press conference;
- Message Development: help with developing your message you want to convey to your legislator and the public; and
- Assistance with contacting your Legislator: we can help you contact your elected representatives and set up and prepare for the meeting.